For practically as long as I can remember, whenever we would drive past an old farmhouse, we would comment on how nice it would be to fix one up! Last year, our dream came true and we started tackling a farmhouse remodel project. This post has been a year in the making! We talked about sharing pictures a long time ago but I’m finally getting to it now.
It was quite a chore – trying to sort through the hundreds of pictures and whittle them down to the few best ones. Many of the pictures I chose wouldn’t be considered incredible but they tell the story, so that’s why I used them. Even after all the paring down, I still ended up with too many pictures for one post so I plan to split this into at least two. Enjoy!
The above picture shows the front view of the house … this is the side where you drive in. We love having so much yard area!
This was the original kitchen …
One of the first things we planned for was to replace the one small window with two large ones. We already had the windows so it was a blessing that we didn’t have to buy them.
Finished! Sort of. We actually still have to finish the exterior trim (ssshhhh, don’t tell anyone!)
The floor under the sink was rotten. That’s what happens when the drain pipe comes disconnected – meaning that the sink AND the washing machine were draining right here under the house. My father always says it’s a mathematical equation: wood+water=rot!
How do you like those tree trunk floor joists? 🙂
When we took out one of the kitchen walls, we lost a lot of our cabinet space. So we decided to move those cabinets over the sink here. The plan is to thoroughly remodel the kitchen as soon as we get the chance but this works for now.
See where the wall used to be? It divided the kitchen from the dining room so we took it out.
Whenever we do the final remodel, we plan to put an island in the kitchen too!
The Main Room
This was the dining room. Cheery looking room, ay? :p The wall on the left divided it from the kitchen.
And this was a living room – the wall on the left divided it from the dining room. (The door on the right goes into the parents’ bedroom and the door straight ahead goes into the laundry room/pantry/garage area.
We like wide open spaces, so we decided to take out all three walls, and make this one big room. Thankfully, these were not load-bearing walls so we didn’t have to worry about the structural support.
The boys and our friend Clinton had fun busting down the walls!
Walls are out … time to paint! But first …
Do you see this window here on the right? Well it looked out into the laundry room … and it wasn’t exactly a spectacular view! Some of us really wanted to take the window out but we were short on finances and time, and so my parents decided that the window would stay. Mama suggested that the china cabinet go in front of it, or mentioned even painting the window! But when I compared the dimensions of the china cabinet to the window area, I discovered that there would several inches of window/trim showing on the sides and above the cabinet.
Finally, after being pretty outspoken about the need to remove the window and sheetrock the wall, I told my father “I will forever regret not getting rid of the window!” Ruthie heard me and started to explain how it wasn’t a big deal because the china cabinet would cover it. I grabbed the tape measure and showed her just how far the china cabinet would and would not cover. She looked a little horrified and said “Oh! We need to get rid of the window!” The other children started agreeing so someone wrote up a “petition for window removal” on a scrap paper and signed the whole family’s names to it – including the ones who weren’t around!
Mama and Tommy had gone to pick up the hardwood flooring and Abba said he was fine with taking it out, as the materials really wouldn’t be too expensive, but he knew Tommy wouldn’t want more sheetrock to finish out. So that evening, after getting the okay from Mama, Abba told Tommy that us girls had busted out the window so that it had to be removed! :p We didn’t really, but the petition worked and wow – that wall looks so much better now than if it still had a window in it!
And this is what happens when you fall asleep while someone is mudding sheetrock!
We found a couple cans of “palomino gold” paint on discount at Ace … added about 3 or 4 gallons of white to lighten it up … and we have nice, peachy walls!
The guys did put in a false beam here where the wall had been. It’s not for support but because the ceiling was too uneven to finish out.
This is a more recent picture but it gives you an idea of what the beam looks like!
There was only one section in the farmhouse that needed support, so they manufactured this beam …
And put it here! This is where the dining room/living room adjoin with what we call the stove room (pictures of that in the next post). It used to just be a couple doorways but since we wanted it open, they had to put in the beam for support.
This picture was taken before it was trimmed out so it isn’t completely finished here, but it’s what I have!
Laying hardwood flooring! Everyone helped with this project and it took several days to complete!
Sometimes you just have to take a break while you’re waiting on another piece!
I wonder if there are any OCD floorers! It sure can drive you crazy trying to decide which pieces to put where and keep the joints far enough apart. And yes, there is such a thing as floorers remorse :p
The dining room and kitchen. This definitely isn’t a finished picture, as you can see the trim still needs to be replaced, among other things, but this is a good idea of what it looks like now.
And from this angle … the dining room and living room!
That’s all for now but I’ll post some more pictures very soon!