You can do so much with pumpkin …
… so why not put some away now, to use the rest of the year?
If you live in the U.S. more likely than not, you have a bunch of big ol’ pumpkins sitting at your local Kroger, Safeway, Ingles, Walmart, farmers market, or other grocery store. Many people get large pumpkins for fall decorations or for carving jack-o-lanterns, but for us they are food! There are many kinds of squash and pumpkins out there … I will not even try to be an expert on which is best for what, but we have enjoyed preserving and eating the large pumpkins for many years. And for anyone who enjoys pumpkin and saving money, why not try it too?
Do you want to store away some pumpkin? If so, you had better make sure you get some soon … they seem to disappear from the stores around the beginning of November.
I plan on posting our favorite pumpkin casserole recipe very soon but until then, I wanted to re-share the way we freeze pumpkin. The simple run-through is:
- Select a pumpkin
- Chop, cook and puree it
- Pour into bags and place in the freezer
- Thaw when ready and use!
Visit this post to find out more on What Do You Do … With Pumpkin?
On another note, since we have six pumpkins to process this year, to save on freezer space, I plan on canning some, as well as freezing them like before. I found instructions this website that seem easy enough to follow, and I look forward to seeing if it works well. If anyone has any tips for pressure canning pumpkin, I would be glad to hear them.
Homemaking Ministries is hosting an online conference and their early-bird pricing is available for one week!
This course includes videos from different speakers who are covering the following topics:
- The Ministry of Homemaking
- Recovering Biblical Homemaking
- Homemaking and Working from Home: Is it possible to do both?
- Homemaking—the juggling act!
- Saving Time and Money in the Kitchen
- Having a Plan for Keeping Your Home Clean
- Prayer in Homemaking: gaining vision, finding time, and praying with our children
- Finding Joy in Homemaking
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Busy Homemaker
- Calm Your Chaos
- Unrealistic Expectations, Communicating your Needs, and Dealing with Differences
- Bible Memorizations: 5 minutes a day, lifetime benefits for the entire family.
The conference is live (online) October 27th – 29th but once you sign up, you can have access to the videos and watch them at your leisure whenever you like – forever! Plus, if you sign up before October 26th, you will receive $75 worth of free bonus items that can help you embrace your role as a homemaker!
You can find more information and sign up for the conference on this page!
Have fun and keep smiling 🙂